Monday, October 6, 2008

Our History


Hello everyone!!
I guess I'll begin by saying you don't have to move to Utah to meet the man of your dreams... Bret moved to Michigan to live with his father and stepmother in December of 2006. His plans were to go to school and see what the Michiganders were like. I was living with 2 roommates, attending Western Michigan University and working at the time.
On one cold mid December evening my 2 roommate (Desiree and Annalaura), Bret, Tyler and Jessy decided to meet and go ice skating here in Kalamazoo. After ice skating they all returned to our apartment for hot chocolate. I got home from work to find some fun new handsome faces in our apartment. Everyone was chatting and getting to know eachother while the TV remote was being passed around for entertainment. When, all of a sudden, I realized the TV had stopped on a FSU Football game!!! I mean who in there right mind would watch college football at a girls apartment... gross!!!!! I jokingly (loudly) made my point...and found Bret with the remote. He was very good looking and all decked out like he should be on his way to go snowboarding (I was wearing a beanie and a long sleeve shirt). I tried not to pay too much attention because I was sure he was much younger then I and maybe he had not even served a church mission yet. But he was Hot!!!
About one month later Desiree and Tyler started dating and then quickly engaged. Tyler had just returned home from his mission and he knew what he wanted. Desiree was preparing for a mission and thought she knew what she wanted....Long story short. They are our best friends and live just one apartment building over form us.
I found out he was not as young as he looked and had been home from his mission in Jamaica for a while. I realized I really liked Bret during a trip to the Detroit Temple on March 3, 2007. That night a group of us watched a movie at "the girls apartment" and Bret showed me lots of interest but I didn't want to get my hopes up. The next evening was a CES Broadcast at the stake center. I came in late and found the seat next to him empty so I filled it quickly. When he leaned forward, I really tried to resist the temptation to rub his back but I didn't resist too long...when he leaned back again he put his hand on my knee which really shocked me and I didn't need to hope anylonger. We have been together ever since.
He suprised me by proposing out front of the Detroit Temple the last weekend of April. The next week Annalaura, my brother Darren, Bret and I traveled to Desiree and Tyler's wedding in Nauvoo. Darren, Bret and I then continued onto Utah to see friends and meet family. I knew if I wanted a modest Wedding Dress I had to get it while I was in Utah so Julie Tew (one of my favoite missionary companions) took me shopping and it worked out perfectly. So did meeting his family. It is such a blessing when all the in-laws like each other.
We got married on August 25, 2007 in the Detroit Temple. We spent our honeymoon in Lava Spring, ID, visiting family, and had a wonderful time. The day after we got home to Kalamazoo, Michigan, we both went back to school and work. I finished my bachelor's degree in Organizational Communication and Travel and Tourism in April 2008. We found out we were expecting a baby in May and we were so very happy. They say the first year of marriage is the hardest but I have to disagree because we get along so well this has been the easiest time of my life!!!

2 comments:

Rudi said...

Nope, you don't have to move to Utah to find an awesome man :)

Lilliana Felicity said...

awe