Monday, October 6, 2008

Our Creation


We decided to try for a baby back in December while watching the LDS Christmas devotional on my hospital bed. I was just coming to the end of a weeks stay in the Hospital for a bad lung infection. Keep in mind it was my first inpatient stay in about 11 years. I usually just do IV antibiotics at home with rest but this time my doctor put his foot down and I had to go along with it.
I had been thinking about a baby for some time but didn't want to persuade Bret into anything. So when he leaned over to me and said he wanted a baby I used all the self control my body contained to not jump out of bed and dance around the hospital room.
One early May morning I woke up to use the rest room and contemplated using our last pregnancy test...Bret was sleeping so peacefully until I quietly crawled back into bed and gently woke him by saying " Honey, I know its Sunday but could we go to the store and buy another pregnancy test". (Quietly...she came running in and pounced on me) His eyes got really big and said "What!! Really!!" We then quickly went to the store. Upon our return and another trip to the bathroom our hopes became a reality!!!
I told Bret I wanted to wait to tell everyone but all of our 4 sets of parents knew before the day was up. Everyone else knew before 2 weeks had passed.
We had our first Baby Doctor appointment at 6 weeks and was able to have an ultrasound to confirm the babies gestational age. It was absolutely amazing to see our little peanut. I have by weekly baby appointments and they usually include an ultrasound. One time Bret said "I'm glad your pregnancy is High risk so we can see our baby so often." I just smiled and gave him a big kiss. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at about 13 weeks and it is under control with insulin and diet. I have not had any amount of morning sickness or any other complications. So far this pregnancy has been a lot better then I expected.
At our 15 week appointment the ultrasound technician asked if we wanted to know the babies sex (Bret wanted a boy so bad and I just wanted a healthy baby) we both said yes. Bret got exactly what he wanted...there was no mistaking our little man for a little girl. When I looked over at Bret I could feel the delight in his soul and see the excitement in his eyes. It was perfect!!

5 comments:

blmiles said...

Kari and Bret... How exciting! I couldn't be happier for both of you and wish you all the best.

Bonnie said...

I was just wondering how you and the baby were doing while I was opening my email. The there was an email from you about your blog. How cool! I have been very bad with my blog lately but if you ever want to check it out littlebonniesue.blogspot.com/
The first time I was hospitalized was when I was pregnant for my son, Kyle. Good luck and know that you are all in my prayer that everyone stays healthy.

Anonymous said...

so you are pregnant? i didnt know that..congrats...

Deann H said...

Congrats! I hope the pregnancy goes well for you :) BTW.. I'm Bret's cousin, Deann.

Cory & Rebeca said...

Sooooo great to know you guys have a blog, it makes keeping in touch with friends soo much easier! Glad to see everything is going well with the pregnancy and LOVE the name you guys have picked out! :)