Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas will come early this year!!!


We went to a baby appointment on Nov. 19th with Doctor Hendrix who will be the one to deliver Hayden. She started off by saying she wanted to do an amniocentesis at 36 weeks and both Bret and I thought NO! Because it's too invasive and not necessary. They suggested one a long time ago to check if Hayden has Cystic Fibrosis and we said no then for the same reason and whether he has it or not, it won't change the pregnancy. I have known from the beginning that I will be induced, Bret and I figured it would just be a week or two early... Come to find out Dr. Hendrix wants to do the amnio at 36 weeks to confirm Hayden's lungs are mature enough for delivery. WOW is an understatement!!! This was news to us and I will forever be grateful to Bret for being able to come to this appointment with me (I have appointments every other week, and with school and work it makes it hard sometimes for Bret to make it to all the appointments). We agreed to the amnio but still felt dazed and shocked. All of a sudden, Hayden would not only beat New Years but Christmas and my Birthday which is Dec. 26th!!! She went on to describe many aspects of the delivery including an epidural (Hallelujah) and possibly vacuum assistance (not so comforting). We had a week to consider all this information before our next appointment on Nov. 26. I called anyone I could think of for advise and suggestions including a friend who is a nurse in Neonatal, my boss who is a respiratory therapist and my CF doctor as well as my mom. Bret and I offered many prayers for comfort and guidance. Our next appointment was wonderful and just what we needed. It started off with an ultrasound (which we haven't had in about a month). He is growing vary well and weighs about 4lbs 5 oz. Dr. Hendrix came in and we asked her to reiterate and clarify all she had said last week. This time we felt excited and ready. My sister in-law put it well when she said she is jealous that I won't have to push out a bigger baby and struggle through the last month of baby stretching and kicking.
So, to make my long story short...if I get an amniocentesis on the morning of December 17 then the induction will start that afternoon. If the amnio is performed in the afternoon then I will be induced on the 18. I have always loved this time of year but nothing could compare to the joy I feel now, knowing the Lord is blessing us with such a wonderful gift!!!

4 comments:

Katelyn said...

That is amazing! you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers during that time.

Stephi said...

Awww. I'm so excited for your baby! And this early delivery is good news for me because that means I will get to see him because I'm leaving on the 24th! I will definitely stop by before I leave. I love you! I will pray for you that everything goes smoothly.

Bonnie said...

Good luck with the delivery! I was induced also at 37 weeks, however I was already having contrations. I pray you have an easy delivery. I also pray that your able to have a vaginal delivery without complications. God Bless and enjoy every minute.
Bonnie

Sycamore Girl said...

Kari-
I hope all goes well with what you have decided with your pregnancy. I know it can be difficult juggling what you want to do and what some doctors say...especially with other factors involved. Anyway, I pray for your and Haydens health. You are about to go for the ride of your life!
I dont know if you've found my other blog The Sycamore. One of the first posts on there explains my feelings of childbirth and the crazy emotions involved with the transition from woman to Mother. It really is the best thing ever. Anyway, check it out if you wish:
www.thesycamore.wordpress.com

My prayers are with your family and you!